Having braces doesn’t necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today’s braces are made from either clear or natural tooth-colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces, except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. Clear aligners are great for patients requiring minor orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and we will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients who seek options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces
- Cost: Ceramic and clear braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. An orthodontist may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to us about all your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask Dr. Brown about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear or ceramic braces may take longer than with traditional metal braces. If you don’t mind investing a little more time in your smile, then talk to Dr. Brown to find out how long your treatment time will be with clear or ceramic braces.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to us, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Dr. Brown can provide answers to your questions and extra information to explain the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear braces, ceramic braces, and all of the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.
"After I got my braces off I felt so confident about my smile and I have Dr. Brown to thank for that. I would recommend anyone going to him."
Jody Ganapathy view her video testimonial
"From the first time I stepped foot in the office, the staff and Dr. Brown took their time with me and put all my concerns at ease."
Mark Gogel view his video testimonial
"They did a really great job. I felt really comfortable coming in -- they felt like family for a while!"
Heather Bremer view her video testimonial